What to expect
What to expect
D&H Jewelry Appraisals in Boca Raton, FL, offers independent jewelry and watch appraisals.
We provide reports and help establish value for insurance, estate liquidations, private sale, liquidation, Gem Identification and more. If you do not need a full report and just need advise on pricing to buy or sell we offer consulting service at an hourly rate.
We work by appointment and in most cases the appraisal is completed and in your possession at the end of your appointment. Each piece of jewelry is weighed, measured, and described in detail as follows:
- Gemstones are identified, graded, measured, and their weights calculated
- Metal content is determined
- All diamonds are described with weight, shape, color, and clarity. In diamonds over 1 carat the internal characteristics of the diamond are diagramed (plotted) and further details regarding proportions are included.
- Colored gemstones are described with weight, shape, color, clarity with more detail.
- Pearls are identified, graded and measured.
- Watches are described with brand, model, movement, and metal, with additional details.
- Your appraisal includes enlarged digital color photos of the items printed on the report.
- Your appraisal explains the grading system used.
- An explanation of the definition of value is included.
Appraisals Completed at your Home or Bank
Off site jewelry appraisals are available at an additional fee. We will bring the gem lab to your home or bank where all testing and appraisal work will be preformed. Then the report will be prepared at the office and mailed to you in just a few days.
If your looking to buy and need advice on your purchase use our 30 years of experience in the business to help. We will offer an unbiased opinion to help guide you in getting the best value when buying jewelry or watches.
Estate Jewelry Appraisal
Do you need an estate jewelry appraisal report for IRS filing or court?
If the estate is subject to federal estate tax, a detailed report will be required to establish the fair market value for each item. Estate appraisals subject to IRS scrutiny entail additional market research for significant jewelry items. These appraisals will list the documented sales prices of comparable items (e.g. researched sales at auction). When applicable, these prices are followed by an analysis of the similarities and differences between the item in question and the comparable item(s) assisting the reader (e.g. IRS agent) to understand the fair market value conclusion in the report. Naturally estate appraisals require more time and research and are billed by the hour or we can quote a fixed price on the entire assignment.
Equitable distribution (divorce settlement), would you still need a jewelry appraisal report?
Often estates and trusts are not subject to federal estate tax but a report documenting every item is still desirable. For example, these less formal reports are useful to help with the equitable distribution of the estate/trust assets. Often these appraisals require less detailed market research and consume less time they are generally billed at the hourly rate.
If all you need is verification that your item is authentic or just need an opinion of value we offer this service.
Call for an estimate (561) 955-0438